Pages

.




Apr 20, 2012

Hoooray! Turning, my new novella, has been released!

Hi, everyone.
Well, I'm pretty excited lately. After months of revising and a year of working on my novella, I've taken my first step into the self-publishing world. My ebook, Turning, is up on the Amazon Kindle store! Yesterday I got my first review, which was lovely. I don't know the person, but I'm sending a thanks out into the ether!

I'm also being bold and including a quote:
"Besides being an action-packed story, there also was a message about humanity and how easily it can be lost under extreme circumstances."

To my fellow budding writers whom I've met along the way, if you have a story that's begging you to be told, consider taking the journey of self-publishing. And by self-publishing, I don't mean writing words and uploading it as an eBook, I mean consider taking on certain responsibilities of a publisher, including hiring an editor and cover artist, and organising your promotion. Traditional publishers often expect authors to self-promote, anyway.

Working with my editor, Sirra Girl, was the most amazing, altering experience as a newbie writer. I cannot sing it praises enough. The editing process not only transformed my manuscript, it transformed me as a writer. I feel like I've done a course that was tailored to me, and the result is a monumental growth spurt. I write better short stories, I write better blog posts, and much faster! I even spend less time writing an email. I already know that I will save a huge amount of hours in the middle drafts of my next project, too. And we all know how precious time is.

One of the cool things the review said was:
"And unlike many ebooks I've read in the past few months, this book was very nicely written. I'd read another book by this author anytime."

My initial reaction was "OMG! Someone called me an author!" hehehe :) But on a serious note, my book didn't start out as nicely written. I had developed my story and style, but that's not enough to give the reader a worthy experience. On reading the line quoted above, I knew it was the result of many, many hours of learning about my weaknesses and revising, revising, revising. It was the result of hardening up and letting go of pride. It was the result of working alongside a great editor who helped me refine my craft. Why? Because we both wanted what's best for the story and the reader.

I still have a long way to go, but I've taken a big leap in the journey. Perhaps one day I will be traditionally published, perhaps not. And this may be ironic to some, but by self-publishing, I am now far better equipped to present a manuscript, synopsis and query letter deserving of an agent's time than I ever was.

If you would like to check out my ebook, click the cover image on the right, and then the amazon link. If you have any questions, or are thinking of self-publishing and need a place to start, comment below and I can share resources and links. :)
~

9 comments:

Christine kyle Moore said...

Hi,congratulations on you debut novel. I read it last week and enjoyed it. Sirra girl did a fine job editing, and it was the first self published e book I've read with no errors. I stayed thoroughly within the story with no distractions.It was the first Zombie novel I've read, and I was pleasantly surprised by story. I will give your next book a peek too. ~ Christine

sirraedits said...

Thanks for the mention! Your praises make it all worth it for me, and clients like you is the reason I love my job as an editor. I loved editing your book and connecting with you. I'm so excited for Turning's release, not because you're my client, but because it's a really good read. Again, thanks for giving me the chance to work with you, and I wish your book all the success it deserves.

Melinda Chapman said...

Christine - thanks so much for popping in and giving me your words of encouragement. I'm glad to hear you're working with Sirra Girl. Have fun with the process. :) I'll let you know when my next book is out, but in the meantime keep me posted when you release yours. I'll have a peek too!

Sirra - it's been a pleasure to meet you and work with you! I'll always remember how you've helped me. When you go through a huge growth spurt in a field that you're passionate about, you don't forget. And thanks for your drive and support for the book - it means so much to me. All the best for your editing, and chat soon. :)

Rain said...

Melinda, I only just found out about this. Congratulations! I can't congratulate you enough. You know how much I like your writing; needless to say, I'd love to read Turning. Is it by any chance available on the iBooks store as well?

Cheers! =)

/ Rain

Melinda Chapman said...

Well, hello there, Rain! Great to see/read you. ;) No worries - can I send you an epub version? I'd LOVE it if you read it! Are you on twitter? I can DM you - @Melinda_Chapman
And thanks so much for your excitement about it! :)Are you Wowing lately?

Rain said...

I'd love that, Melinda; thanks for the kind offer. =) Of course, I want to pay you the £2.50 or so Amazon charges for the Kindle version and I won't take "no" for an answer; it's only fair that I pay (do you have a PayPal account?). Now, how would you send me your novella? Would it be in pdf format and by e-mail or would it be something else? For better or for worse, I'm not on Twitter; my entire social business happens through GMail, Blogger and mobile phone. =)

I've returned to WOW at long last, although this week (I should really say this month now that WOW is a monthly thing) I didn't get a chance to write a piece because of university and one of my own novels in progress. I did join Lillie's "Five Sentence Fiction" and Kelly Exeter's "A Picture Says...". How about you?

/ Rain

Melinda Chapman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rain said...

Okay, I just sent you an e-mail. Thanks again for the enthusiasm and the kindness, Melinda. I do want to pay, though; it's only fair. Please let me know when Turning is out on the iStore and I'll purchase an e-copy. =) I'm somewhat baffled by the discrepancy concerning prices for different countries on Amazon, but I'd be more than happy to pay £2.50 for it.

It would be great to have you back on WOW. I do miss reading your wonderful pieces. FSF is also great, albeit extremely challenging most of he time -- but then that's the whole point, isn't it? ;)

/ Rain

Melinda Chapman said...

Hey Rain! I got your email. Chat soon. :)

Hehe - it's £1.30 on the Amazon UK site, but don't worry. :) In a couple of months, I'll be releasing it to other platforms including the iStore - hooray! If you want to buy it or gift it then, feel free, but no pressure - happy for you to have it.

I dwindled on the Wow, but would love to get back into it. I'll definitely join Lillie's and Kelly's exercises, too. Five sentences sounds great!

Post a Comment